Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Small Games
Hello everyone,

I would like to see if other people are as interested in this as I am and to see if some of you wonderful PBM game masters might run one.  I have been craving a closed ended simple game.  I look at all of the games that are still running and, of course, the most popular huge games with incredible depth are the ones that have survived.  Is there any interest out there for the short game w/ a few commands, lots or no diplomacy, quick action, high stakes and short turn sheets.  Flying Buffalo has several of these game offered.  I am on the waiting list for one, Nuclear Destruction, but a game hasn't been played in a long time.  There is little hope that game will ever start.  I am also on the waiting list for It's a Crime with KJC Games.  I haven't heard from them in about 3 months.  In PBM games, 3 months is just a blink.  I could be waiting a while.

Is there anyone out there that are interested in these games?
Currently playing: Far Horizons, Riftlords, Heroic Fantasy, and Dungeonworld.
How about.... Lizards?

http://www.flyingbuffalo.com/lizards.htm
Raven Zachary in Portland, Oregon, USA. Currently playing: TribeNetSuperNova, KnightGuildMiddle-earthTakamo, and Wraith.
I thought It's a Crime was one, pervasive, shared game world? I signed up for Monster Island by KJC Games months ago using their online form and heard nothing back. I am wondering if KJC Games is actively running any games other than Phoenix: BSE and Quest.
Raven Zachary in Portland, Oregon, USA. Currently playing: TribeNetSuperNova, KnightGuildMiddle-earthTakamo, and Wraith.
I would like to play Lizards  but there is not a single person on their waiting list for that game and it hasn't had a game run in years.

It's a Crime is a closed ended war game of street gangs.  Three levels of units: 'Cruits, Punks, and Pros.  Commands are like Recruit, Mug, Take over city block, Rob a store, Attack another gang, Spy on block, etc.  If you do really good, the gang becomes a Mob Boss and more commands open up.

In early May, I received an e-mail from them when I asked about the game.  They expected one to begin in about 4 weeks.  It's almost August.  I sent a follow up today.  I hope a game will start soon.

This game was the PBM I played back in the '80's.  Saw the ad in Dragon magazine.  I was a kid and couldn't really afford it.  I didn't stay with it very long.  The same with Monster Island.  I played it for about 5 turns back then.  It was run by Adventures By Mail.
I'm interested in Nuclear Destruction. I want to finish up Far Horizons first.
flying buffalo's website is an exercise in utter frustration. lizards links are all broken except for the colourful 'Lizards' button, which takes you to another page (with madhouseuk urls at the bottom with 2008 copyright - did FB get bought by steve?)

riftlords is the same, I couldn't find a working link for docs or to even sign up to the game.

I know PBM is a dying hobby but dead websites only hurt it further.
Currently playing TribeNet, Far Horizons, Galac-tac, Supernova, The Isles and Dungeonworld.
(07-27-2021, 05:22 PM)Fungus Wrote: flying buffalo's website is an exercise in utter frustration. lizards links are all broken except for the colourful 'Lizards' button, which takes you to another page (with madhouseuk urls at the bottom with 2008 copyright - did FB get bought by steve?)

riftlords is the same, I couldn't find a working link for docs or to even sign up to the game.

I know PBM is a dying hobby but dead websites only hurt it further.

You are right about that website, it was hard to navigate.  This PBM company is very postal friendly.  I was wanting to get hard copies of rules so I bought their rules packet for all of the games.  I ended up getting some really nice old school rule books and a world map for their World Wide Battle Plan game.

I'm not sure what the relation of the person that is running it now is to Rick Loomis.  His name is Chuck.I'm sure if you send him an e-mail at postmaster@flyingbuffalo.com, he will send you a pdf or something.

A while back, Flying Buffalo was working in conjunction w/ Madhouse.  I believe they were collecting turns for Dungeonworld on this side of the pond.  They may have been doing some other things with them that might explain the link to their site.
I was added to a new game (33) of It's A Crime a couple weeks ago after signing up several months previous. Did you get added, too? I played a couple turns by email many, many years ago, but couldn't afford the turn cost (being a pre-teen). It's exciting that single turns are now free. Anyway, I look forward to hearing back, and hope you are getting the chance to play as well.
No, I didn't get a turn.  I'm very disappointed.  I will contact KJC.
My last It's A Crime turn result had a message at the top saying, "There are good inactive gangs available." This should mean standby players can get into the game at this point. Have you heard back from KJC?