Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
PBM News Blurb - March 24th, 2011
PBM Gamer
Mark Wardell, the Mad Scientist of PBM, responded to an e-mail that I sent to him, yesterday. He expects to post something on his website at PBM Gamer, soon. Mart started a new job, recently, and he's beginning to feel less drained. Here's hoping that the Mad Scientist begins experimenting with PBM again, real soon!

-----

Tome of Treasures
While exploring the depths of the Internet, I stumbled upon some real gems of PBM's past. if you remember StarMaster II, or Horizons End, then you might want to check this site out for yourself. I have not had time to do an exhaustive onsite exploration-in-depth of this particular site, but my initial impression of the site is that it may well be an El Dorado of play by mail memories just waiting to be discovered by PBM gamers everywhere.

-----

Tom "The Fiend" Ford's Gladsheim's Monster Island Info Page
Basically a repository of information the Island Rangers, one of the largest Monster Island groups of all time in the UK game, Tom Ford's site is an island floating in the vast space of the Internet, just waiting to take you on a stroll back down PBM's memory lane. Monster Island was a PBM game originally run by Adventurers by Mail in the United States, and later by KJC Games across the Atlantic Ocean.

-----

Duel2
The Duel 2 forums have been a beehive of posting activity, lately. There have been dozens of postings in the forums there, since my last visit to that site. One forum in particular caught my eye, one started back in October of 2010, and which pertains to RSI's Summer 2011 Face-to-Face get together. Several of that site's forum users have posted in that thread, recently, so it might be worth checking out, if this sort of thing strikes your PBM fancy.

-----

PlayByMail.Net
Numerous newly registered site visitors have caused the forums at PlayByMail.Net to spike with interest on things PBM related. As numerous old hands at play by mail gaming begin to reconnect with PBM, by sharing memories and tips on software preferences for their current respective game programming undertakings and endeavors, PBM fans looking to strike PBM gold could do a lot worse than to take a peek at PlayByMail.Net's forums.

-----
Empire Forge

Jeff Sullins and Doug Greening, both of Empire Forge fame, have reconnected via e-mail, recently. How this will impact fans of the Empire Forge series of games remains to be seen. Both have been proceeding apace individually to bring forth Empire Forge II, a successor game to the original. Jeff Sullins has Empire Forge Conquests in Beta Release, and Doug Greening's efforts are labeled Empire Forge II.

-----

The Road of Kings
Yet another organized game of Hyborian War has filled with players, and players have sent their turn orders off to Reality Simulations, Inc. for what is being billed as a "Traditional Enemies Game."

-----

Briny En Garde
Over at the Briny En Garde! forums, the site admin there is considering changing the colors of the forum there. I believe that it qualifies as news, since the game seems to have an enthusiastic following of players, and improving the color scheme of the forum theme in use there can only be a big plus, in helping that site to grow its body of PBM oriented gamers.

-----

Austerlitz: The Rise of the Eagle
On a sad note, Robnet Kerns, the game moderator over at the Austerlitz: The Rise of the Eagle website, sent me an e-mail, today, in which he announced that they are closing Austerlitz. They stopped launching new games in September of 2010, and they will shut down completely, once their current games finish. Robnet expects that this will probably take another two years, but in the meantime, they are no longer taking new sign ups.