Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Quest of the Great Jewels [Flying Dutchman Games]
(03-26-2011, 02:02 AM)aloysius Wrote: the Azoni - builders of great citadels,
the Quntag - emperors of vast provinces,
the Rilris - hoarders of the treasures and talismans,
and the Slenth - the destroyers and ravagers of the land.

Each had its own path to victory and different strengths and weaknesses. There were a few NPC races, as well: Mercenaries, from whom you could buy additional armies (or attack, although they were particularly tough to defeat, and would refuse to trade with you ever again afterward); LotU (Lord of the Universe), who guarded the Forbidden Cities and the treasures therein; and Neutrals who were scattered semi-randomly around the map, ripe for the picking.

Was Lord of the Universe a player?

Also, do you have a personal favorite of the four main races in the game? Or did you ever get to play the actual game?

Here's an old ad for Quest of the Great Jewels, back when it was run by Zorph Enterprises:

[Image: QuestOfTheGreatJewelsZORPH400x280.jpg]

Just click on the image for a larger version of the same image, for easier reading of the ad's text.
And here's an old ad for Quest of the Great Jewels, back when it was run by Flying Dutchman Games.

[Image: QuestOfTheGreatJewelsFLYINGDUTCHMAN400X270.jpg]

Just click on the image for a larger version of the same image, for easier reading of the ad's text.
Hi,

coming from the Olympia/Atlantis/Starweb background and having a pbem game in the oven - a just for fun project, which changed directions many times but took some shape and form recently - I would like to know more about the features of Quest of the Great Jewels. I kind of have the feeling that I am following the footsteps of QotGJ without really knowing it.

Are there any scanned rule files around? Any turn reports? A list of interesting features, perhaps? Good aspects, bad aspects of the game?

Regards,

scanned rules? not that i know of. 300 copies of printed rules somewhere in my basement? Yes.
(09-06-2011, 12:55 PM)vanollefen Wrote: scanned rules? not that i know of. 300 copies of printed rules somewhere in my basement? Yes.

Hahahahahaha.

Mail me one of those copies, and I'll scan it for you, if you would like me to. How long are the rules?

I have to move some stuff to get to them, I'll try to get to it this week sometime. 20+ pages if I recall.
That would be great. I like to analyse and understand game mechanisms, and I would love to have a look at a game that was inspired by Starweb, one of the greatest jewels of the pbm scene.

Any chance to also get hands on a review of Quest of the Great Jewels - it's strenghts, weaknesses, innovative approaches towards player interaction, et cetera.

Regards,

there were a couple reviews in Paper Mayhem, if I recall - one when Zorph was running it, one when I was. No idea what issue though.
(09-09-2011, 02:07 PM)vanollefen Wrote: there were a couple reviews in Paper Mayhem, if I recall - one when Zorph was running it, one when I was. No idea what issue though.

.. which has also been published in the pre-digital age. I saw the entry on board game geek.

Any news on the rules?

Cheers!