Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Galaxy #122 has started
To all new home worlds ...

The masters have abandoned you in galaxy #122 and you're on your own now. Stars are fairly few and far between, but they're ready for your exploitation.

Conquer and enjoy!!
I'll add general game comments here and keep the other thread for my logs.

I did a quick read of the rules this past week and a slower read as I was getting ready for this game to start. And then, all of a sudden, it was almost the last day of the turn. It was nice that the system sent me a reminder!

The on-line guides have been helpful, especially the "Galac-Tac Quick-Start Guide."

I found the Galac-Tac Assistant to be confusing because I didn't notice that the menu changed when I started to edit actions. I think it is hard to read - is there an option to increase the font size?

I am confused on spending. There's a dialog that shows points spent that seems to change in real time, but I didn't see a way to list where the points were being spent.

Last thing, is there something that shows all the ships and where they are? I found out that I could click a system to get a list of the ships in that system, but didn't see an "empire-level" overview.
(12-28-2020, 03:07 AM)ronin Wrote: I found the Galac-Tac Assistant to be confusing because I didn't notice that the menu changed when I started to edit actions. I think it is hard to read - is there an option to increase the font size?

I'm sorry about that, but a changing menu is the only way I could think of to handle multiple screens of the same type. All menus are fixed except the one for the screen that is currently highlighted. That menu then applies only to that screen. For instance, if you had three different maps open at once, how could you have just one menu for them all - to which map would commands apply?

As for the font size, I don't have an option to change that (though it is possible to create one if necessary). But I thought I had it set to use whatever font size your computer is set for in general - is that not what you're seeing happen on your system?
(12-28-2020, 03:07 AM)ronin Wrote: I am confused on spending. There's a dialog that shows points spent that seems to change in real time, but I didn't see a way to list where the points were being spent.

Yes, the Cash Flow Report is very handy at telling you as you type how much PI you have left to spend. But there is no mechanism to tell you on what command it's happening. Most players don't seem overly concerned at that - perhaps you can help me understand how it would help you?

There are very few commands that commonly consume PI (cash) -- most of the time they're either BUILD or LOAD or COLONIZE, and those are pretty easy to spot in your turn. Other screens can help you see how much your ship designs, and therefore your builds, cost.
The PV map displays with a much bigger font than the other maps. I'll send you a screenshot of that. That's what made me think that I could "zoom" in and out on the maps.
(12-28-2020, 03:07 AM)ronin Wrote: Last thing, is there something that shows all the ships and where they are? I found out that I could click a system to get a list of the ships in that system, but didn't see an "empire-level" overview.

Double-clicking on a star on any map will bring up a screen full of details about that star, one portion is the list of ships there and another is a list of ships nearby, for instance. But to see where everything is your best bet is to define your map to show you that information graphically.

All GTac maps are customizable, including the predefined ones. You can tell a map what you want shown and how and the new data will appear directly on the map. For instance, you could say to put a little red ship symbol next to any star that has your ships there. Then you can save that definition and next turn the symbols will show up again but this time in their then-current locations.

If you want something more complicated, pick a red symbol on the right for cargo ships and a blue symbol on left for scout ships and a yellow symbol above the star for warships. Many ways of showing information are possible, you may select your methods and combinations depending on what you want to see. Or, you might create multiple saved maps -- one showing only scouts and another showing only cargo ships, etc.

The map can also show you the routes that ships are going to take (from the commands you've typed in so far), such as ships you're about to send out Charting or Scouting. The «Scouts» map has an example of that if you'd like to check it out.

Custom map-based displays are the primary way that GTac shows you information, and the easiest way for you to understand your empire.

Does that help?
(12-28-2020, 03:45 AM)ronin Wrote: The PV map displays with a much bigger font than the other maps. I'll send you a screenshot of that. That's what made me think that I could "zoom" in and out on the maps.

Aha! You're talking about maps rather than text displays. Actually, the PV map is drawn graphically and has two sizes. But if you want to see a map closer in, go to the menu Map >> General Settings >> Magnification and I think you'll find what you're looking for.
I don't think that it needs changed; it made sense as soon as I noticed it. It just took a while for me to notice it Smile
(12-28-2020, 03:30 AM)Davin Wrote:
(12-28-2020, 03:07 AM)ronin Wrote: I am confused on spending. There's a dialog that shows points spent that seems to change in real time, but I didn't see a way to list where the points were being spent.

Yes, the Cash Flow Report is very handy at telling you as you type how much PI you have left to spend. But there is no mechanism to tell you on what command it's happening. Most players don't seem overly concerned at that - perhaps you can help me understand how it would help you?

At this point in the game, it would be just for curiosity. For example, I initially looked for it to see how things were being spent when I did the "suggested actions." I wanted to be lazy and not have to count the number of ships and do the summing myself.
(12-28-2020, 03:07 AM)ronin Wrote: I did a quick read of the rules this past week and a slower read as I was getting ready for this game to start. And then, all of a sudden, it was almost the last day of the turn. It was nice that the system sent me a reminder!

Oh, other players might wish to note that on their Talisman Games profile page there's a check-box to ask the system to send you such reminders. If you haven't checked that item then you won't get notifications of this and other types. I recommend that everyone ask for gaming-related emails.