Poll: When a clan joins a faction should the get a bonus?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Yes - Award signing bonus
0%
0 0%
Yes -Award declare bonus
0%
0 0%
Yes - Award both bonuses
100.00%
4 100.00%
No - Award no bonuses
0%
0 0%
Total 4 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Poll - When a clan joins a faction should they get a signing bonus?
Whenever a clan signs up for a faction and declares for a primary faction, should that clan be given these bonuses? Now a faction does get extra resources for each active clan that declares for it and remains active. So should the faction award each clan a signing bonus when a clan first declares for a faction? It has been proposed that this one time signing bonus should be the following:

1st One-time signing bonus for each clan that declares:

100 Retainers, 5,000 Crowns, 1,000 Influence 

2nd Declare for a specific faction as your Primary faction and have all 3 clans each declare for that same faction. The player chooses their Main clan and that Main clan gains a 2nd Primary Faction bonus:

100 Retainers, 5,000 Crowns, 2,000 Influence
Question:  If clans rarely want to remain Independent (as I thought I was being told) because there's no motivation for it, then why give an all-around signing bonus to effectively everyone?  If everyone gets a bonus or everyone doesn't get a bonus, doesn't that make it pretty much the same either way?
(02-14-2020, 05:27 AM)Davin Wrote: Question:  If clans rarely want to remain Independent (as I thought I was being told) because there's no motivation for it, then why give an all-around signing bonus to effectively everyone?  If everyone gets a bonus or everyone doesn't get a bonus, doesn't that make it pretty much the same either way?

I see your point, the sign-on bonus would encourage factional play -- which is the heart of the game.  It would not be the same game if everyone was Independent and no one declared for a faction.  It might also change things if some factions added additional bonuses out of their dispensation budgets to get more people to sign up for their factions -- creating a "competition" of sorts.  This would also cut back on conflicts -- players playing in competing factions.
A signing bonus would make players "join" a faction, but if someone jumped ship, then it would paint a target on their back as well depending on how or why someone left a faction. The signing bonus greatly helps a new clan out a lot get started and keep them going in the beginning. The bonus isn't too large, just enough aid to help out.
Ever dance with the Dark Man, by the pale moon light? If you do risk it, it will be the last time you ever will.
I also proposed  for each "player" that plays  and contributes  both on this forum and in the beta-test there should be a one time "loyality support bonus" for their Main clan of:

200 Retainers, 15,000 Crowns, 2,000 Influence
Brother to Brother, for one and all. United we stand, and divided others will fall. Hear my call, and take up your arms with me as we bring Justice to all. Big Grin

Father Morpheus's theme music
Sign me up for this as well too.
Ever dance with the Dark Man, by the pale moon light? If you do risk it, it will be the last time you ever will.
(02-14-2020, 10:51 AM)FutureSojourner Wrote: I see your point, the sign-on bonus would encourage factional play -- which is the heart of the game.  It would not be the same game if everyone was Independent and no one declared for a faction.  It might also change things if some factions added additional bonuses out of their dispensation budgets to get more people to sign up for their factions -- creating a "competition" of sorts.  This would also cut back on conflicts -- players playing in competing factions.

I'm not sure we're speaking the same language here.  I presume that factional play is already of enough benefit that everyone will want to join one anyway.  Why give everyone the same bonus for doing something they're going to do anyway?  To accomplish that, why not just give all starting clans more resources to begin with, since that's what you're effectively doing anyway?  What's the point of the bonus?

I don't much like the idea of using dispensation budgets to provide a faction-specific signing bonus either.  Players needn't be encouraged to sign up for a faction and I don't like the idea of joining just because of bonuses without regard to the players wanting to play for purpose/goals of the faction.  That leads to pure "financial" competition and getting members who don't really want to promote your efforts.
Davin I hear what your saying but think of it this way, in the real world when you start a new job skill people are almost always given a signing bonus. Why do companies do that? Well a lot of times it to help the new employee get appropriate clothing for the job or other matters to get them ready to start the job. Well Clans in Midgard are the Skill assets that Factions wish to have join their teams. They give the Signing Bonus to give the clan a additional step up to buy more appropriate weapons types, horses, uniforms, food stuffs, and resources to do things like building things to make more Awards. It cost crowns in game to Train, Recruit retainers, and buy building materials to build stuff. Thus it takes money to make money. The signing bonus I came up with was a simple 100 Retainers, 5,000 Crowns, 1,000 Influence and is more than enough to add to the normal startup clan funs to get the clan along to begin life in any faction. Oh the Crowns might actually need to be higher like 10,000 Crowns, but it all depends on the costs of items on your markets too. I am just basing on what worked in the past in this game.
Brother to Brother, for one and all. United we stand, and divided others will fall. Hear my call, and take up your arms with me as we bring Justice to all. Big Grin

Father Morpheus's theme music
(02-17-2020, 04:14 AM)DreamWeaver Wrote: Davin I hear what your saying but think of it this way, in the real world when you start a new job skill people are almost always given a signing bonus. Why do companies do that? Well a lot of times it to help the new employee get appropriate clothing for the job or other matters to get them ready to start the job. Well Clans in Midgard are the Skill assets that Factions wish to have join their teams. They give the Signing Bonus to give the clan a additional step up to buy more appropriate weapons types, horses, uniforms, food stuffs, and resources to do things like building things to make more Awards. It cost crowns in game to Train, Recruit retainers, and buy building materials to build stuff. Thus it takes money to make money. The signing bonus I came up with was a simple 100 Retainers, 5,000 Crowns, 1,000 Influence and is more than enough to add to the normal startup clan funs to get the clan along to begin life in any faction. Oh the Crowns might actually need to be higher like 10,000 Crowns, but it all depends on the costs of items on your markets too. I am just basing on what worked in the past in this game.

If you need more resources to have fun when you start playing, then let's just give everyone those resources in the first place.  Why make them sign up first before they can get them?

I don't like your real-world comparison much either.  I've never had a job that had a signing bonus, and I'm a skilled person in a skilled industry.  If the signing bonuses were the same everywhere, and everyone got one as soon as they got a job (from at least McDonald's on up), then what's the point of having them?