Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A new set of thoughts on how to bring Midgard back
(02-04-2020, 09:40 AM)FutureSojourner Wrote: When I played last time I had some cousins in conflicting factions; but Zan knew me and trusted I wouldn't abuse that situation -- which I did not.  I had my main clans and cities but wanted to do some things on my own with some minor cousin clans just for "fun."  But perhaps you could institute an in-game incentive to players who ONLY play in one faction.  My goal is to seek a senior position in the Ring or Gift (religion is kinda my thing), if you offered a decent enough incentive (not sure what that would be -- maybe construction regiments if you have them) for players to ONLY play in one faction that could be incentive enough.

Hmmm...  I don't know that I like the "incentive" idea.  How are good and reasonable players supposed to try out different styles and get a little variety in their gaming?  I wouldn't think that restricting them to a single faction would be very popular.  For instance, look at the several people that mentioned what they would do with six clans -- they all wanted to be in 3 or so different factions simultaneously.
OK here are some ideas on how to stop abuses...

- At game start allow only (3) clans to start with in play
 - Require everyone Declare a Primary Faction that they support and will be the main clan within the game.
 - For those players that want to pursue Seniorship, the player must declare all (3) clans in their declared Primary Faction. If they do this, they gain a 1 time bonus for each clan. The bonus should be: (100) Retainers, (5,000) Crowns, (2,000) Influence in their declared primary faction.
 - After (6) months of game play, they can add (+3) more clans, but not in any enemy factions.  Example" (3) Gift clans as declared primary faction, then adds (+1) Ring, (+1) OOH, (+1) SOA.
 - Make players roleplay with their faction to get to know their faction, and their faction get to know them too.
Brother to Brother, for one and all. United we stand, and divided others will fall. Hear my call, and take up your arms with me as we bring Justice to all. Big Grin

Father Morpheus's theme music
Well, that's a thought.  But how are you going to determine "enemy factions" when factional relationships change over time?

Also, what about players that aren't interested in Seniorship?
The Imperials will NEVER EVER be friends with the Boda or Barbarians.

As I said set up a table of relations and as those relationships change, you as the GM...Update them!
Brother to Brother, for one and all. United we stand, and divided others will fall. Hear my call, and take up your arms with me as we bring Justice to all. Big Grin

If players want to total declare all (3) clans for a single faction, give them that Bonus too.

Updating relationships has its own problems. For one thing, feelings between factions may be subtle and they may grow apart or together very slowly. How can you set a dividing line that way? For another thing, what if you have clans in friendly factions X & Y and the factions decide they don't like each other any more and now they count as "enemies". What happens now that your clans are theoretically enemies?
(02-05-2020, 04:55 AM)DreamWeaver Wrote: If players want to total declare all (3) clans for a single faction, give them that Bonus too.

You've been talking a lot about having your own clans in assorted factions.  Would you want to be dedicating 100% of your playtime to a single faction?
Also, regardless of what you use as "incentive", what if people don't want the incentive?  If they're free to pick anything they want and are able to abuse that, and want to, what's to stop (or even discourage) them?
I could now that I have a set of factions I want to really play in. The Seekers being one of them.

(02-05-2020, 03:42 AM)Davin Wrote:
(02-04-2020, 09:40 AM)FutureSojourner Wrote: When I played last time I had some cousins in conflicting factions; but Zan knew me and trusted I wouldn't abuse that situation -- which I did not.  I had my main clans and cities but wanted to do some things on my own with some minor cousin clans just for "fun."  But perhaps you could institute an in-game incentive to players who ONLY play in one faction.  My goal is to seek a senior position in the Ring or Gift (religion is kinda my thing), if you offered a decent enough incentive (not sure what that would be -- maybe construction regiments if you have them) for players to ONLY play in one faction that could be incentive enough.

Hmmm...  I don't know that I like the "incentive" idea.  How are good and reasonable players supposed to try out different styles and get a little variety in their gaming?  I wouldn't think that restricting them to a single faction would be very popular.  For instance, look at the several people that mentioned what they would do with six clans -- they all wanted to be in 3 or so different factions simultaneously.

Back in Zan's game, I played 9/9 and while they were not all in the same faction there were common themes I was working on that supported mostly a single mission.  IF there was a worthy incentive to play in one faction I would have seriously considered it.  Perhaps requiring Senior #1 to be in a single faction with incentives.