Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Factions
The MV was always considered a Honorable Merc's, while the SOA was a Dark Sider that supported both Bandits and Pirates and had strong ties to the Brotherhood (MOB).  You might also classify them a Evil faction as well.

I strongly disagree with you Davin, the Evil factions have just as much of a place in the game as the Good factions. I guess you can make many factions Evil and thus make them all NPC, I guess then you will have the following then:

So let's review the status of the faction so far:

Listed as "organized" factions: (that are open for players to join and play)
- Imperials --- (open)
- Boda Family--- (open)
- Getham Family--- (open)
- Roder Family--- (open)
- Merk Verk ---(open)
- Cymru--- (open)
- Seeker--- (open)
- Banner Religion--- (open)
- Gift Religion--- (open)
- Ring Religion--- (open)
- Order of the Hand Knighthood Religion OOH (?)

The list of "disorganized" factions: (are closed and setup as NPC only play, not for players)
- Bandits--- (Closed- Evil)
- Pirates--- (Closed - Evil)
- Heretics--- (Closed)
- Blood & Fire Religion ---(closed - Evil)
- Serkeanar Religion--- (Closed - Evil)
- The Cult of the Dark One Religion--- (Closed - Evil)
- Barbarians (SeaKings)--- (Closed - Evil)
- SOA --- (Closed - Evil)
- Skelts (Celts/Pics)--- (Closed- Evil)
- Guilds--- (Closed)
- Brotherhood (Mob)--- (Closed - Evil)
Brother to Brother, for one and all. United we stand, and divided others will fall. Hear my call, and take up your arms with me as we bring Justice to all. Big Grin

Father Morpheus's theme music
Here is the OOH - Order of the Hand faction:

[Image: OOH-1.png]
[Image: OOH-2.png]
Brother to Brother, for one and all. United we stand, and divided others will fall. Hear my call, and take up your arms with me as we bring Justice to all. Big Grin

(02-04-2020, 12:16 AM)Davin Wrote: Ok.....  I give up.  I can't see any good reason why factions can't be empty (or nearly so).  They just won't grow noticeably and won't accomplish very much (just NPC play).  But I can't think of why that won't work from a technical point of view.  If you're willing to play in very inactive factions, then why should I stop you.

So, fine -- we'll spin up all the possible factions and let your clans choose how they want to play.

I would like to introduce the concept of "organized" factions (ones that have a shared set of goals and seniors to help direct them) and "disorganized" factions (just independent groups doing whatever they feel like).  Independents would be a disorganized faction (no seniors and no ranks) that players can play in and they can do whatever they feel like.  In addition, groups like Bandits and similar "general" enemies would also be called disorganized factions with no leaders or goals (other than making trouble), but I'd like to (at least to try out in the beginning) make those all NPC factions if we could.  These NPC factions would be used as enemies to all players (of at least one faction or another) and therefore someone is nearly always available to "fight".

Comments?

I don't see the point of "disorganized" factions.  Sounds like Independents.  I'm a faction guy. I like them and have always enjoyed playing in a faction.
(02-12-2020, 02:00 AM)DreamWeaver Wrote: The MV was always considered a Honorable Merc's, while the SOA was a Dark Sider that supported both Bandits and Pirates and had strong ties to the Brotherhood (MOB).  You might also classify them a Evil faction as well.

I strongly disagree with you Davin, the Evil factions have just as much of a place in the game as the Good factions. I guess you can make many factions Evil and thus make them all NPC, I guess then you will have the following then:

See my comments about "organized evil" elsewhere.

I always felt like the MV was reasonably honorable, too.  The world needs hire-able soldiers, at least, to fight for various causes (assuming the soldiers feel a cause is worth fighting for).

I thought the SOA wasn't a very "good" group, too, and sounds like just the place for thieves, assassins, spies, etc.  If there are mercenary groups that fight solely for money without considering the morality of the employer's goals, then perhaps they would best fit here too, don't you think?
So, you're saying that every group of bandits in the world belongs to a world-wide hierarchy, reporting up through chains of command, rising through ranks, following a specific set of goals, and cooperating with every other group of bandits like they were brothers??
(02-14-2020, 05:48 AM)Davin Wrote:
(02-12-2020, 02:00 AM)DreamWeaver Wrote: The MV was always considered a Honorable Merc's, while the SOA was a Dark Sider that supported both Bandits and Pirates and had strong ties to the Brotherhood (MOB).  You might also classify them a Evil faction as well.

See my comments about "organized evil" elsewhere.

I always felt like the MV was reasonably honorable, too.  The world needs hire-able soldiers, at least, to fight for various causes (assuming the soldiers feel a cause is worth fighting for).

I thought the SOA wasn't a very "good" group, too, and sounds like just the place for thieves, assassins, spies, etc.  If there are mercenary groups that fight solely for money without considering the morality of the employer's goals, then perhaps they would best fit here too, don't you think?

The first faction I joined, back in 1986, was MercVerk -- the Senior #1 back then was Cletus Graham and Contract Coordinator was Hal Mayne (played by Jim Early).  They produced two booklets - The Code and The Book.  I believe I still have them in long term storage.  They were very honorable, well organized, and extremely well run.
(02-14-2020, 05:50 AM)Davin Wrote: So, you're saying that every group of bandits in the world belongs to a world-wide hierarchy, reporting up through chains of command, rising through ranks, following a specific set of goals, and cooperating with every other group of bandits like they were brothers??

An independent clan that wants to be a bandit would be an independent clan that does banditry.  An independent clan that wants to do piracy would be an independent clan that functions as a pirate.  I see no reason to have a "Bandit" faction or a "Pirate" faction.  They are the definition of an independent clan.
I DO NOT like the idea of an Order of the Hand faction.  They should be a part of The Ring Religion, for those Ring players that want a more martial role in their play style.  If the game expands and there becomes an overabundance of Ring players who want to be fighters then let them organically split; otherwise, leave them in the Ring.
I also remember seeing a faction called "Sons of Sky" as well too
Ever dance with the Dark Man, by the pale moon light? If you do risk it, it will be the last time you ever will.
OK here are the Sons of Sky faction from Midgard UK with Stephien Wier

[Image: Sons-01.png]
[Image: Sons-02.png]