Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The SeaKings Redesign #12 - Naval Barbarian
Brick 
The SeaKings (Barbarians) #12:

[Image: Sea-Kings-fation-12.png]
Barbarians represent the original inhabitants of the "Known World."  It is known
that the Barbarians did not originate in the Known World, but arrived in three
great waves thousands of years ago.

Barbarian clans actually originate on another continent in the world of Midgard. 
They are sea-borne raiders and prey on coastal villages and towns.  Barbarian
forces can perform all types of military operations but excel in the use of
Light Infantry and Light Missile weapons.  Barbarian clans can make their own
armor and weapons (Light Infantry and Light Missile) and spend most of their
lives aboard ships.  Their Longships are much feared and it is known that they
take prisoners to refill their ranks.  The Longship is unique to the Barbarians. 
It has only been produced by Barbarian Clans in the past.  Barbarians will sink
their own ship to prevent it from falling into enemy hands.

Every two years, all Barbarian clans must return to their homeland.  All of the
goods that they have gained by raiding is then tallied and the new hierarchy
is established.  Each clan is then allocated new ships and men based on their
ranking. Then the next Barbarian wave begins.

The Barbarians prefer the name "Brothers" when they refer to each other. 
Their organization is not very formal, but it is effective.  Barbarians can
count on strong support from their "Brothers" against a common foe, but
are likely to fight among themselves over the division of the loot.  Many
Barbarians keep alive the old tales about past glories; when the known
world was under their control.

SeaKings Bonuses:

1 The SeaKings (Barbarians) are, in comparison to Midgard Organizations, undisciplined and unruly.  Their lack of perceived discipline is their greatest asset in combat and other types of operations.

SeaKings Hierarchy:

0 The Lord of Death (umpire/computer)
1 Great Destroyer
2 First Member of the Convocation
3 Second Member of the Convocation
4 Third of the Convocation
5 Death's Scythe
6 Leader of the Horde
7 Master of Ships
8 Taker of Life
9 Leader of the Hunt
10 Rampager
11 Reaper
12 Master of the Raid
13 Raider
14 Master of the Hunt
15 Hunter
16 Tracker
17 Explorer
18 Leader
19 Follower
20 Brother

SeaKing Goals:

1 Control of the Oceans.
2 Elimination of any Religious Force.
3 Raid all coastal Cities.
4 Elimination of all Heliograph Stations.
5 Complete destruction of one coastal city per year.

Seaking Factional Office:

The Seaking factional office is called the SeaKing Mead Hall...

SeaKing Skills:

NST - Naval Strategy
NAV - Navagation
SEA - Seamenship
NTA - Naval Tactics

SeaKing Special Ship types:

- Here are the new ships added to the game under Midgard USA by Zan E.
[Image: Midgard-Ships-Common.png]
[Image: Midgard-Ships-Buccaneer.png]
[Image: Midgard-Ships-Sea-King.png]
Brother to Brother, for one and all. United we stand, and divided others will fall. Hear my call, and take up your arms with me as we bring Justice to all. Big Grin

Father Morpheus's theme music
I had many long talks with Zan E. of Midgard USA on the Barb faction, including the Skelts (Relegious Foot based Barbs). The Barbs can make on hand what ever number of Long Ships they needed to be used for their clan's need.  They also could make from scratch either LI and LM weapons to arm their retainers too. Now I worked out with Zan to allow all SeaKing  clans men to be armed as LI/LM weapons, thus double armed. The SeaKings were roughly Marines being able to fight both on Land or Sea, but were the Masters of Sea Warfare.

The Skill start up was:

SeaKings <clan name>
LDR: NST-2, NAV-1, SEA-1
  F1: NTA-1
  F2: NTA-1
  F3: NTA-1

So you start will a defined (7) Skill level, with a extra (3) to be defined. My advise would be to do this.

SeaKings <clan name>
LDR: NST-2, NAV-1, SEA-1, CMD-put incharge of a Specific Clan Unit2, STR-1

Then have the Leader train (+CMD) to the FI,F2,F3...then during those 6+ Cycles/Turns recruite to build up your clan to go raiding.

SeaKings <clan name>
LDR: NST-2, NAV-1, SEA-1, CMD-2.30, STR-1
  F1: NTA-1, CMD-1
  F2: NTA-1, CMD-1
  F3: NTA-1, CMD-1

The SeaKings had NO Regiments, but you could find via Special Actions trainers in various skills for a FEE. I would look to train your F!,F2,F3 in (+1TAC) skill to begin with making them very effective Followers to be placed in charge of a specific clan unit.
Brother to Brother, for one and all. United we stand, and divided others will fall. Hear my call, and take up your arms with me as we bring Justice to all. Big Grin

I have been thinking about the Barbarians a lot, and I understand that the Naval side of the code has not yet been worked but that does mean we can't talk about them.

As stated above the skills were :

SeaKing Skills:

NST - Naval Strategy
NAV - Navagation
SEA - Seamenship
NTA - Naval Tactics

I would also add the following skills

CMD - Command
SHW - Shipwright
SMH - Smithy (Blacksmith/Ironwork ability)

By giving them these skills it would historically make them more true to nature.  Their skill start up might look like this:

LDR: CMD-1, NST-1, NAV-1, SEA-1, SHW-1 , SMH-1
Note: It would leave them with +1 Skill/Level to assign as well too. Now something that has not been talked about yet under skills is if you had a level 2 in a skill like CMD-2, then that character could teach another character in their clan a Level on in that skill so CMD-1 could be taught by the Leader to all three of his followers. If that is still th same as if has been in the past three versions of the game then I would assign the 10th skill point to CMD-2 skill:

LDR: CMD-2, NST-1, NAV-1, SEA-1, SHW-1 , SMH-1
Then I would spend the next 6 turns having the LDR teach F1,F2,F3 in CMD-1 skill.  If you have a character with CMD skill they can be assigned as a Unit Leader and that you then gains the bonuses that the character has so after 6 months of training the clan followers would be NTA-1, CMD-1 which is +5% or each skill towards a bonus of that unit's success.

Next the factional bonuses:

1)  The Barbarians are able to make their vessels from scratch themselves as needed, this is where the SHW - Shipwright skill comes into play
2)  The Barbarians are able to make their own weapons and thus self arm themselves from scratch, this is where the SMH - Smithy skill comes into play
3)  The Barbarians are able to self arm and double arm units as follows: LI/LM, LI/MM, MI/LM, this would give them a Combat bonus that makes them extremely formidable in combat and cause fear in those that they attack, plus it would make them that much more deadly when attacking.

Now historically the Barbarians didn't just fight on naval battles, they would land and march inland and attack locations. So realistically their Leader will eventually pick up other skills like STR - Strategy, SGE - Siege Warfare, an the Followers will also get such skills as TAC - Tactics, SGE - Siege Warfare, SGW - Siege Weapons. Once that happens then a Barbarian clan will be extremely deadly and very hard to deal with.

I believe these adds to the Barbarians will be great to make them a extremely fun and effective  faction to play within. Now they are very loose in their factional organization, but they can be extremely effective. Also note they do not ever use regiments, but do hand out larger Awards for different things and goals. It would be fun to play one of them again. We might consider changing the name of the faction from Barbarians (SeaKings) to something else but that is up to the GM to decide if that stays or not.

My thoughts on the Barbarians would be to either make them an NPC faction to be employed well after the game is established.  OR if they are to a player faction to make them less exclusive, and more like a redesigned Imperials in that, they are now willing to play "nice" or at least "nicer" than they have in the past.  Maybe have them in a section of Midgard that they are trying to claim is their permanent settlement and let the other factions establish diplomatic ties and trade.  I have never been a fan of exclusive factions -- it sort of made sense when there was an off-Midgard homeland but in the re-boot of the game exclusive factions don't seem to make much sense to me.

Oliver
(02-16-2020, 10:22 AM)DreamWeaver Wrote: I have been thinking about the Barbarians a lot, and I understand that the Naval side of the code has not yet been worked but that does mean we can't talk about them.

Yeah, I'd have to think about Barbs.  My general classification thoughts go along the lines of:
  • Bandits = Land-based groups that generally cause trouble wherever they're found.
  • Pirates = Sea-based groups that generally attack and steal from other shipping.
  • Barbarians = This sounds like it's more of a "naval raider" that comes from overseas, lands, attacks/raids nearby areas, and then retreats to the sea.
If we follow such concepts, then I think I'd prefer for Barbarians to:
  • Be NPC only
  • Be a general enemy like Bandits and Pirates
  • Be disorganized like Bandits and Pirates
  • Not be introduced into the game for quite some time
Comments?
(02-16-2020, 01:54 PM)FutureSojourner Wrote: My thoughts on the Barbarians would be to either make them an NPC faction to be employed well after the game is established.  OR if they are to a player faction to make them less exclusive, and more like a redesigned Imperials in that, they are now willing to play "nice" or at least "nicer" than they have in the past.  Maybe have them in a section of Midgard that they are trying to claim is their permanent settlement and let the other factions establish diplomatic ties and trade.  I have never been a fan of exclusive factions -- it sort of made sense when there was an off-Midgard homeland but in the re-boot of the game exclusive factions don't seem to make much sense to me.

That sounds much along the lines I was envisioning.
Davin Wrote:
DreamWeaver Wrote:I have been thinking about the Barbarians a lot, and I understand that the Naval side of the code has not yet been worked but that does mean we can't talk about them.

Yeah, I'd have to think about Barbs.  My general classification thoughts go along the lines of:
[ul]
[li]Bandits = Land-based groups that generally cause trouble wherever they're found.[/li]
[li]Pirates = Sea-based groups that generally attack and steal from other shipping.[/li]
[li]Barbarians = This sounds like it's more of a "naval raider" that comes from overseas, lands, attacks/raids nearby areas, and then retreats to the sea.[/li]
[/ul]
If we follow such concepts, then I think I'd prefer for Barbarians to:
[ul]
[li]Be NPC only[/li]
[li]Be a general enemy like Bandits and Pirates[/li]
[li]Be disorganized like Bandits and Pirates[/li]
[li]Not be introduced into the game for quite some time[/li]
[/ul]
Comments?
Ok make them a NPC then but state that your doing that, to make it clear. I am trying to define their general sense and everyone will understand the basics of whom the Barbarians are. Make them a Raider as you have stated and have them do the "Hit N Run" style of attacking and etc.  Just tell all and set it in stone.

Fine with me. The new game manual will need lots of this sort of stuff spelled out.