Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
StarMaster
(06-17-2012, 06:37 AM)Starkadder Wrote: I came into the game late sadly. As a start up alliance, my special encounters are much more simpler. The attached files are the special encounter for my last turn I ever received, and just when it was getting real interesting. I will never know if my outpost will survive the next day.

I was the last Minister of Information for the Lyranian Star Imperium alliance. So I have a bunch of old Imperial Newsletters, some of them have Lyranian battle reports, which are much more interesting, and put any Star Wars or Star Trek fleet battles to shame.

I would love to find a PBM game that does the same thing that StarMaster did, but haven't found it yet. It would be a time consuming game for any game master.

Excellent PBM materials that you posted, Starkadder! I enjoyed reading them.
Another battle special action, from the Lyranian Star Imperium alliance newsletter.

Concerning the Eudorian's efforts to eliminate the invading Illian swarm from their homeworld, sort of assisted by the Lyranian Star Imperium.

.pdf   StarMaster Eudorian Campaign 1-4.pdf (Size: 74.82 KB / Downloads: 29)
.pdf   StarMaster Eudorian Campaign 2-4.pdf (Size: 67.4 KB / Downloads: 13)
.pdf   StarMaster Eudorian Campaign 3-4.pdf (Size: 68.14 KB / Downloads: 9)
.pdf   StarMaster Eudorian Campaign 4-4.pdf (Size: 70.13 KB / Downloads: 17)
Ah! This is the best post of 2012!
I wished there was someone who would take up the job and started GM the game again!
The attached files are the first half of Operation Thunderbolt, which features the Lyranian assualt on the Vekkan home system. This comes from the August 1991 issue of The Imperial Newsletter.

Here is the second and final half of Operation Thunderbolt. I would have loved to have seen this battle at the movies.

Attached Files
.pdf   Operation Thunderbolt 1 of 10.pdf (Size: 905.19 KB / Downloads: 22)
.pdf   Operation Thunderbolt 2 of 10.pdf (Size: 956.21 KB / Downloads: 10)
.pdf   Operation Thunderbolt 3 of 10.pdf (Size: 894.78 KB / Downloads: 12)
.pdf   Operation Thunderbolt 4 of 10.pdf (Size: 981.25 KB / Downloads: 9)
.pdf   Operation Thunderbolt 5 of 10.pdf (Size: 887.19 KB / Downloads: 11)
.pdf   Operation Thunderbolt 6 of 10.pdf (Size: 1.04 MB / Downloads: 10)
.pdf   Operation Thunderbolt 7 of 10.pdf (Size: 885.96 KB / Downloads: 11)
.pdf   Operation Thunderbolt 8 of 10.pdf (Size: 1,008.72 KB / Downloads: 10)
.pdf   Operation Thunderbolt 9 of 10.pdf (Size: 991.12 KB / Downloads: 11)
.pdf   Operation Thunderbolt 10 of 10.pdf (Size: 798.54 KB / Downloads: 15)
I played StarMaster from Colorado while still in High School and loved it. I must admit that I spent a ton of money on that game as I managed 7 planets and 3 empires at one point. I was co-leader of one of the major alliances in the game called SECOR with our main rivals being the Imperial Dragorn Empire / Alliance. Also, long distance phone calls were a major expense too trying to keep allies happy and coordinated.

Later the game rights were purchased by Pete Dorman and Russel Norris who I believe were actual game masters for StarMaster. Their new product is called SuperNova and the company they run is called Rolling Thunder Games. This new version was actually Play-By-Email and the turns came in .PDF format. Again we had a major presence and consequently Pete and Russ moved their headquarters from Sacramento, CA to Broomfield, CO where we all lived.

Because of the massive record keeping that was involved I created a parse program and management solution in Excel which is still being used today by those still playing.

Anyway, I would still be playing that game if it wasn't so expensive, but because it is that way I play other online MMO's such as Everquest II, EVE Online, and Star Wars the Old Republic.
(06-25-2011, 06:01 AM)Tom Thomas Wrote: Big Grin How sweet it was and is. I still have all of the SM materials that I used back in the 1970's to include the original S&sons book.

I can remember it taking a long time to play, as I started playing in Germany in the 70's. Boy, was the mail slow then.

I take it out and enjoy reading the stuff all over again. I may be the only one to still have all of the original stuff that was sent during play.

Tom

Any chance of scanning the rulebook?
Any chance that this game will be back and running again???
Wishfull thinking....
(10-20-2013, 11:14 AM)walter Wrote: Any chance that this game will be back and running again???
Wishfull thinking....

The next generation of Starmaster II is SuperNova: Rise of the Empire, go to http://www.rollingthunder.com/supernova/
(10-21-2013, 12:26 AM)RevBluejeans Wrote:
(10-20-2013, 11:14 AM)walter Wrote: Any chance that this game will be back and running again???
Wishfull thinking....

The next generation of Starmaster II is SuperNova: Rise of the Empire, go to http://www.rollingthunder.com/supernova/

Perhaps I am wrong, but don't think we are talking about the same Starmaster game.

Starmaster had a fictional story element, that the game masters would write up each turn for each of the players, along with the normal gameplay mechanics.

If SuperNova provides that same service, I would be interested in it, but I have never heard of a RollingThunder game that does.
(10-26-2013, 02:22 AM)Starkadder Wrote:
(10-21-2013, 12:26 AM)RevBluejeans Wrote:
Wishfull thinking....

Perhaps I am wrong, but don't think we are talking about the same Starmaster game.

Starmaster had a fictional story element, that the game masters would write up each turn for each of the players, along with the normal gameplay mechanics.

If SuperNova provides that same service, I would be interested in it, but I have never heard of a RollingThunder game that does.

Played Starmaster II, and got turns but there wasn't all that much of a storytelling aspect - most of the story came from the interplay of the players.