Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
StarMaster
So it arrived a while back, actually faster than seller predicted.   All as advertised by the seller.  Very happy, even programed up a spreadsheet to make alien design easy and to off-load the math to out silicon overlords Smile .    A bit refined and expanded from what I recall, notice a different publisher from the original (the original was Schubel & Son).  

Recently have been going over all old Space Gamers and Dragon magazines, especially Space Gamer.   Got me thinking about all those old PBM games from the 70s and how can find and preserve...and perhaps revive for play one way or another...them.
(09-18-2021, 02:45 PM)xanther Wrote: Recently have been going over all old Space Gamers and Dragon magazines, especially Space Gamer.   Got me thinking about all those old PBM games from the 70s and how can find and preserve...and perhaps revive for play one way or another...them.

Well, there are efforts along those lines now. Here are some I am in.

Far Horizons (Space 4x) is being recoded and beta tested now. Contact info is in the Far Horizons: The Return folder here. There are still positions in the game available. You will be a bit behind, but can use it as a learning experience for when it gets relaunched.

Galac-Tac (Space 4x) is running. See the folder here. There are multi-player and single player games available. You can even set up a single player game to run every day to help learn.

Supernova II (open ended, long term space exploration game) is running, and is run by some former Schubel and Sons staffers. It's a lot like Starmaster, and is well run. Again, see the folder here.

All the Flying Buffalo games (Starweb, Nuclear Destruction, etc.) are available, and can be found at http://rickloomispbm.com/ (Flying Buffalo sold the non-PBM games and the Flying Buffalo name to another company recently.)

Midgard (open ended wandering tribes and city management game) is being revived with a new game engine. Still in late beta, positions available. Contact via https://knightguild.com/membership-login/ and the Discord link there. A turn was just run and a new set of rules are about to be published.
(06-05-2014, 06:33 AM)P5-133XL Wrote:
(06-04-2014, 11:50 PM)GrimFinger Wrote: Can you take a picture of them, for us? Just spread them out on a table, and photograph it, if you get a spare moment and feel so inclined.

Already done that, but the only camera I have uses actual film.  It will take a week to get developed and transferred to a digital format.

If you are interested, it appears I played 13 turns in early 1984.  I have The original race description I created and registration sheet; Galactic update news letters;  Computer combat results sheets; Computer print out of the ship file library giving all the specs to all the ships I could get; all the filled out turn sheets; trade sheets; life form evaluation and comparison sheets; planet production sheets; diplomacy turn sheets; Game master remarks; special action forms; system discovery forms; lots of questions to GM with their answers.  Player information sheets giving details, beyond the official manuals, about things like combat, trade, colonies, diplomacy, meta engineering.  A couple of inches of stacked 8x11 sheets of paper for it appears I pretty much kept everything.

My point in supplying this is that it is far more info than I can conveniently take pictures of and supply here.  I took pictures of empty forms because of the intention of selling it, but it strikes me that perhaps, what you are looking for here perhaps would be some filled out forms or the detailed player information sheets that give detailed info on subjects beyond what the manuals give.  Is there anything specific you want?

I did some extensive scanning for you guys: 

StarMaster.pdf (Aprox. 100+ scanned pages, 76+MB)

It isn't everything but you've got at least a sample of most things...

P.S.  I tried to attach the file but it was too big and your forums choked on it.  So I have a link to the scans stored in a dropbox.

KrisPieDave here, I am interested in this pdf, but the dropbox has long since expired (11 years now) can someone help me get the pdf? please Smile
I am also interested in this game. Is the original author still around?
Grimfinger did Richard Lloyd ever get back to you?  Probably not, since you never mentioned it.
(03-30-2022, 04:25 PM)Talisman Wrote: I am also interested in this game.  Is the original author still around?

Sadly not yet.  Probably need to send the Vekkan Huntress to go look for him.
Well, I manage to stumble across this, today. I guess that it wasn't lost, after all.

https://grimfinger.net/StarMaster.pdf
(05-05-2022, 02:13 PM)GrimFinger Wrote: Well, I manage to stumble across this, today. I guess that it wasn't lost, after all.

https://grimfinger.net/StarMaster.pdf

Great find, Charles!

My first play-by-mail game was Starmaster. The year was 1984 and I was 11 years old. I learned about this game from a cheap ad in the back of Dragon magazine. Play-by-mail, what a cool concept. I designed an empire (The Crystal Cryons, named after one of my cats) and excitedly waited for my first turn. On turn one, my home world was visited by a floating advertisement ("Ships R Us"?!) wanting to sell me powerful ships as a new empire, and that wrecked immersion right off the bat. Space was already commercialized before my young empire had the chance to get there. What was the point in continuing? I dropped out.
Raven Zachary in Portland, Oregon, USA. Currently playing: TribeNetSuperNova, KnightGuildMiddle-earthTakamo, and Wraith.
(05-01-2022, 04:12 AM)Starkadder Wrote: Grimfinger did Richard Lloyd ever get back to you?  Probably not, since you never mentioned it.

Nope.