Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Beyond the Stellar Empire
So any BSE folks still out there? I used to be in the AFT back in the very early 90's when Adventures By Mail was still running the game. I wish I still had all of my old turn reports to put online somewhere.

My best memory of the game was helping the RIP Lord setup small throwaway colonies on Utopia MCXVI so he could start shooting wars between the big colonies there.

Hatch
What does AFT stand for?

What is a RIP Lord?
(03-24-2011, 09:02 PM)GrimFinger Wrote: What does AFT stand for?

What is a RIP Lord?

AFT = Association of Free Traders
RIP = Raiders of the Interstellar Periphery

They are affiliation acronyms, and preceded the names of ships and colonies, so I had a ship named AFT Crimson Libertine.

The leader of the RIP called himself the RIP Lord.

There was quite a good bit of roleplaying going on in BSE, despite being heavily computer moderated.

Hatch
What was so great about Beyond the Stellar Empire, anyway? What distinguished it from other space conquest types of PBM games?
(03-24-2011, 10:31 PM)GrimFinger Wrote: What was so great about Beyond the Stellar Empire, anyway? What distinguished it from other space conquest types of PBM games?

I don't really know. I never really played any others. I played It's a Crime for a bit before I did BSE, and I did a few turns of a closed-end game where all the players were in a large ring shaped asteroid field, but I can't remember the name of it or really what it was about.

Hatch
From what I understand BSE wasn't an empire building game. It was more of a multi-character focused game like Atlantis and Olympia.
I just signed up for a non-paying position, having looked over that "Phoenix" site. You get one ship and can play that indefinitely for free, to get a sense of the game. For more positions, you can set up an account. I will post some updates on this as I enter into actual gameplay...
(03-24-2011, 06:15 PM)Hatch Wrote: So any BSE folks still out there? I used to be in the AFT back in the very early 90's when Adventures By Mail was still running the game. I wish I still had all of my old turn reports to put online somewhere.

My best memory of the game was helping the RIP Lord setup small throwaway colonies on Utopia MCXVI so he could start shooting wars between the big colonies there.

Hatch

It's been a while since I played BSE and Phoenix but I've put some 8 years into the game in total... I've been the Periphery Director of both the Queens Guardians (QNG) which I created myself and the Children of Hexos (COH). I remember when I used the COH to take over and destroy two medium sized Flagritz starbases in the Yank system... That was great fun. Unfortunately it cost a lot of £ if you want to be someone in Phoenix and I had to quit a couple of years ago.

Cheers!

(11-18-2011, 05:09 PM)ixnay Wrote: I just signed up for a non-paying position, having looked over that "Phoenix" site. You get one ship and can play that indefinitely for free, to get a sense of the game. For more positions, you can set up an account. I will post some updates on this as I enter into actual gameplay...

I have to say that that sounds like a perfect window into a game.
Been playing the game for 18 years now and i't going from strength to strength,