PlayByMail Forums
GrimFinger - Printable Version

+- PlayByMail Forums (https://forums.playbymail.dev)
+-- Forum: New To PBM Gaming (https://forums.playbymail.dev/forumdisplay.php?fid=65)
+--- Forum: New to the site? Introduce Yourself (https://forums.playbymail.dev/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: GrimFinger (/showthread.php?tid=23)

GrimFinger - GrimFinger - 02-06-2011

Since the forums here are pretty dead, these days, this seems like as good of a time, as any, to introduce myself to those few souls who are regular visitors to the site here, currently, as well as to those who happen along and encounter this site at a future date.

My name is Charles, and I am the administrator of this site. In layman's terms, that simply means that I run the site, and I try to ensure that it doesn't go offline, and that it doesn't get overrun by automated spambot postings, and that the features that it offers actually function.

Sometimes, of course, we have issues and encounter problems. Technical issues can be particularly vexing, at times, because sometimes no quick fix exists for a given problem. Especially unfortunate and disappointing, too, is the fact that, on occasion, we basically have had to start over from scratch. Invariably, this is frustrating and annoying to the site's users. Perhaps unsurprisingly, such occurrences are also frustrating and annoying to me, especially since those instances result in time and effort and energy that was invested in the site being lost.

Once those particularly bad episodes happen, though, I can either try to resume moving the site forward, or just giving up. I've chosen to keep moving forward, albeit at an admittedly slower pace than when I first brought this site online. There are various different reasons for that, some that impact the amount of personal time that I have free to devote to this site, and others that are PBM related, and which will likely have a further negative impact upon the hobby, such as Flagship magazine's editor's misfortune with health issues, last year.

If memory serves me correctly, I began playing PBM games (play-by-mail games of the postal variety kind) back in 1986, or roughly thereabouts. The very first play-by-mail game that I ever played was a game called Hyborian War, run by a company called Reality Simulations, Inc.. Over the years, there have been numerous gaps in my PBM activities, but all these many years later, I find myself currently in a game of Hyborian War - game number HW-854, where I rule the kingdom of Nemedia.

If I could bring back any one play by mail game that became defunct in years past, it would be Galaxy: Alpha, a space conquest sort of game run by an equally defunct PBM company named Intergalactic Games. I think that the thing that I liked most about that game, looking back on it all these many years later, was its Galactic Data Base entries - which contained many colorful and interesting back stories and tidbits about various races and entities that existed within the setting of the game.

I am an opinionated sort of fellow, even if these forums are sparsely populated with my opinions, at the present moment. I encourage each and every site visitor here to be no less equally opinionated, yourselves. Only if you take time to share your opinions, however, will others obtain the benefit and opportunity to learn what your opinions are. It will also help to flesh these forums out with some substance, to put some meat on the bones of these forum discussion threads, so to speak. So, feel free to join in at your leisure and convenience. I'm sure that someone - and perhaps many, in time to come - will be glad that you did.

Enjoy the site, and I invite you to help us grow it through your participation and enthusiasm.

Thank you for stopping by,

- Charles -