PlayByMail Forums
Issue #20 - Suspense & Decision PBM magazine - Printable Version

+- PlayByMail Forums (https://forums.playbymail.dev)
+-- Forum: Suspense & Decision (https://forums.playbymail.dev/forumdisplay.php?fid=37)
+--- Forum: Issues of S&D (https://forums.playbymail.dev/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+--- Thread: Issue #20 - Suspense & Decision PBM magazine (/showthread.php?tid=130612)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12

RE: Issue #20 - Suspense & Decision PBM magazine - Lugh - 02-27-2021

(02-26-2021, 09:55 PM)Davin Wrote: Are you talking about some centralized point of control that "has the articles" and handles everything for us? At best, who has time?

I was thinking of decentralizing the control of the articles to manage the workload. For example, I have a Facebook account but I do not have an Instagram account. Maybe another active poster on S&D would volunteer to handle the posting of articles on Instagram while I handled posting of articles on Facebook? Maybe an active S&D poster on Reddit could post there...? You see where I am going with this pattern?

RE: Issue #20 - Suspense & Decision PBM magazine - Davin - 02-27-2021

Perhaps, but I'm thinking along a slightly different line... What about if we put a page on the S&D website where people could submit their articles directly to a common area? There they would basically be appended to a collective document that would end up being the released issue as soon as a few were contributed. All the social media sites could have links to the site (posted by whomever has accounts there) announcing when a new issue is available and asking for more articles to be submitted there.

(02-27-2021, 01:30 PM)Davin Wrote: Perhaps, but I'm thinking along a slightly different line... What about if we put a page on the S&D website where people could submit their articles directly to a common area? There they would basically be appended to a collective document that would end up being the released issue as soon as a few were contributed. All the social media sites could have links to the site (posted by whomever has accounts there) announcing when a new issue is available and asking for more articles to be submitted there.

That could work... Good idea!

RE: Issue #20 - Suspense & Decision PBM magazine - RktSci - 02-27-2021

(02-26-2021, 10:43 PM)Lugh Wrote: If you want to build a vibrant community, having it fragmented over Instagram, FB, Reddit, and more won't provoke much discussion. I've seen this in other communities. Having a blog as the article repository is a good strategy. Use the other social media sites as pointers to the discussion there. 

(02-27-2021, 04:14 PM)RktSci Wrote:
(02-26-2021, 10:43 PM)Lugh Wrote: If you want to build a vibrant community, having it fragmented over Instagram, FB, Reddit, and more won't provoke much discussion. I've seen this in other communities. Having a blog as the article repository is a good strategy. Use the other social media sites as pointers to the discussion there. 

I did not write that quote!  Huh Pretty sure that misquoting me was an accident, but that is literally putting words in my mouth...

RE: Issue #20 - Suspense & Decision PBM magazine - Davin - 02-27-2021

(02-27-2021, 07:24 PM)Lugh Wrote: I did not write that quote!  Huh  Pretty sure that misquoting me was an accident, but that is literally putting words in my mouth...

Well, you needed something to munch on anyway. Big Grin

RE: Issue #20 - Suspense & Decision PBM magazine - RktSci - 02-28-2021

(02-27-2021, 07:24 PM)Lugh Wrote: I did not write that quote!  Huh  Pretty sure that misquoting me was an accident, but that is literally putting words in my mouth...

Sorry. Mea culpa. 

I hope my point did get across to those in the discussion.

RE: Issue #20 - Suspense & Decision PBM magazine - Davin - 02-28-2021

(02-28-2021, 03:17 PM)RktSci Wrote: I hope my point did get across to those in the discussion.

Of course. However, I think I'd prefer to separate blogging or similar posts from the actual articles to be published. I don't think it's appropriate for chit-chat (which is bound to end up in casual conversations) to become "permanent" published articles/threads. I think a separate "publish this as an article" button would be better, and still allow general conversations/discussions on the side.

RE: Issue #20 - Suspense & Decision PBM magazine - Lugh - 02-28-2021

(02-28-2021, 03:17 PM)RktSci Wrote: Sorry. Mea culpa. 

I hope my point did get across to those in the discussion.

No worries, mate! (that was mock outrage)

You made a good point.  I think it is better to use social media sites to drive traffic to both S&D and the game company presented in the article.

RE: Issue #20 - Suspense & Decision PBM magazine - GrimFinger - 03-03-2021

https://www.facebook.com/PlayByMail/posts/4143195929024157

1. Use social media sites to drive traffic to both S&D and the game company presented in the article.

2. Separate blogging or similar posts from the actual articles to be published.

3. If you want to build a vibrant community, having it fragmented over Instagram, FB, Reddit, and more won't provoke much discussion. Having a blog as the article repository is a good strategy. Use the other social media sites as pointers.

4. Put a page on the S&D website where people could submit their articles directly to a common area? There they would basically be appended to a collective document that would end up being the released issue as soon as a few were contributed. All the social media sites could have links to the site (posted by whomever has accounts there) announcing when a new issue is available and asking for more articles to be submitted there.

5. Decentralize the control of the articles to manage the workload. On person post on Facebook, another person post on Instagram, another person post on Redit, etc..

6. Use Facebook (and other social media sites) as secondary publishing locations.

7. Anything posted should link back to a site that is on the open web without a requirement for a Facebook account. Anyone with a browser should be able to read PBM articles without any account. All articles to be indexed by Google and other search engine for findability.

8. Traditional print-style advertising lets you turn the page on anything you're not interested in and keep reading.

9. 'Zines are basically one-way. But they're a collection of everything that can be had at the time about a particular subject of interest. If people want to talk back and forth, that's what social media and forums are for. Each mechanism has it's own strengths and purposes. There is no single way to handle everything the same.

10. Social media is fine for chatting, but an organized publication of some sort is what we need to be rallying around.

11. Make Issue #20 the final PDF edition of the magazine and then switch Suspense & Decision over to a WordPress blog site where articles could be posted individually as they are ready by authors.

12. Publish individual articles directly on sites (Facebook was the example, but never intended to be the only website) without putting them into the PDF format.

13. A real e-zine with stuff collected together and a standard format (including the title page) in a publicly downloadable (probably PDF) file.